Are you struggling to keep the shrubs, bushes in your landscape looking good? It’s no secret that these types of plants grow fast and can be very hard to shape too.
In this article I will discuss the different types of shrub trimmers that are available to you and review the best hedge trimmer in each category. By the time you are done reading you should have a good idea which type of high-quality trimmer suits your needs the best.
Top-Rated Hedge Trimmers by Categories
[Cordless] - BLACK and DECKER LHT321FF
- A powerful 20 volt max lithium Ion battery delivers power and extended run time
- 22 inches dual action blade to ensures less vibration while trimming
- Cuts branches up to 3/4 inches diameter
- Ergonomic grips and low vibration help you work longer and complete the job
- Part of the 20 volt max system, Cutting Strokes/Min: 2400
There is a reason that this model is one of the best cordless hedge trimmers and that is because it works so efficiently when it comes to trimming hedges. Black & Decker has built many nice features into it such as its 22” blade length.
That equates to a trimmer that can do a lot of hedge shaping and do it quickly. This is also a model trimmer that is rated very highly in all the consumer reports that have been done on it. With its superior cutting power, it can even handle branches up to 3/4” thick
[Corded Electric] - Remington RM5124TH
- This trimmer's lightweight design and ergonomic cushioned grip let you cut through even the toughest branches with comfort and ease
- 5-amp electric motor and 24-inch titanium-coated dual action blades sever any branch up to 3/4-inch thick
- 180-degree rotating handle increases versatility to ensure precise, clean cuts
- Titanium coated blades maximize durability and cutting performance
- Backed by a 2-year limited warranty
If you are looking for one of the best corded electric hedge trimmers you can buy Remington RM5124TH. This model is also one of the highest rated dual-action trimmers you will find also.
It’s a powerful trimmer with a 5-amp all motor and 24-inch titanium-coated blades that will help you easily slice through branches up to ¾” thick.
It also has a 180-degree rotating handle that will let you trim at the angle you like and its ergonomic cushioned grip will enable you to work comfortably for long periods of time.
[Gas-powered] - Husqvarna 122HD60
- The Smart Start engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort
- A carburetor air purge system removes air from the carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
- When the machine is turned off, the stop switch automatically returns to the start position for easier starting
- The rear handle is adjustable to facilitate cutting the sides and top of hedges
- Anti-vibration dampeners absorb vibration, reducing stress on the user's arms and hands
Here is one of the most popular gas-powered hedge trimmers you will find for the money you will spend on it. The Husqvarna 122HD60 features a powerful 21.7cc gas motor that will cut as quickly and easily through branches as any hedge trimming machine you will find on the market.
This good quality name brand product is also designed to start easily and its rear handle is adjustable to where it is most comfortable for you to use when operating this trimmer for bushes. Features like its nifty anti-vibration design are what make Husqvarna one of the best brands in this to buy.
[Long Reach] - GreenWorks 22272 G-MAX
- G-MAX 40V Li-Ion Battery System powers multiple tools for complete yard system--includes 2AH Battery and Charger
- 20-inch steel dual action blade for optimal performance and durability
- Shaft extension: 6.5 feet. 5/8-Inch cutting capacity for controlled, easy trimming of most bushes and hedges without the need of multiple tools
- 3 position pivoting head adjusts blade with extended reach handle for trimming at multiple angles
- 40V G-Max and 40V Lithium-Ion Batteries are not cross compatible; this tool is compatible with the G-Max 2.0 Ah battery (29462) and the G-Max 4.0 Ah battery (29472)
GreenWorks 22272 G-MAX is one of the top-rated long reach hedge trimmers you will find in the lawn and garden marketplace. It gets consistently very high rating from those that have used it and it’s also a recommended buy based on all those favorable customer reviews.
This bush trimmer features good power and a smooth, clean cutting action when using it. The head unit on this model can pivot to one of three different positions also; that way you can cut at an angle where the trimmer blades are facing the way you like them to.
[Hand-held] BLACK+DECKER GSL35
- BLACK+DECKER's electric lawn and garden equipment releases zero emissions in your yard, helping to reduce your carbon footprint with this cordless hedge trimmer
- The 3.6V lithium battery of the battery powered hedge trimmer stays charged and ready for up to 18 months.
- At just 1.4 pounds, the lightweight design of the trimmers for plants is great for trimming grass and shrubs or for people who put a priority on lightweight tools.
- It comes with a 6 inch trimming blade for detailed pruning of ornamental bushes and shrubs and a 4 inch grass shear blade for precision trimming of grass around flower beds, walkways, and posts.
- Soft grip handle provides comfort and control during use.
Here is one of the most practical hand-held hedge trimmers you will find because it’s so versatile. It even doubles as a handheld grass shear. That makes it great if you live in a townhome or starter home where you do not have a very big landscape to take care of and don’t require the use of a large trimmer.
It is perfect too if you have no yard at all and only have a few potted shrubs and bushes. This unit also features a rechargeable 3.6 v Lithium-ion battery and a 6-Inch shrub trimming blade.
What to Look For When Buying a Bush Trimmer
Here are the key traits that you should focus on when you go to buy hedge cutters.
If your hedges consist of many shrubs that have very thick branches on them then you will have to choose your trimmer model accordingly. For many branches over 5/8” of thickness, it is best to use a gas-powered or high voltage (40V +) trimmer.
Trimmers can either cut using a single action blade or dual action blade. If your hedge trimming task is a large one then you definitely would be better off having a shrub trimmer with a dual action blade.
There are two dimensions you need to be concerned with when buying a new machine. One is blade length. You have to have a blade length that is proportional to the size hedges you are trimming so the job does not take you forever to complete.
The other important dimensions to consider are that of the overall size of the trimmer unit itself. If you are slight in stature you don’t want to buy longer and wider size shrub trimmers because you may have problems controlling them properly.
If you have just a few bushes and shrubs in your landscape then hedge cutter weight will not be such a big issue for you but quite the opposite is true if you have several big rows of hedges in your yard. It stands to reason that the more your trimmer weighs the quicker your arms will tire out when you are using it. So get a lighter weight bush one if you will be using it for long periods of time.
There are many features that some products have that make them a really good bush trimmer to own. Look for things such as 2 in 1 models, models that have handles you can angle and trimmers that have pivoting heads.
Tips & Tricks For Perfect Hedging
Last update on 2022-10-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API